Thursday, March 26, 2009

Attention Target Shoppers...

“Attention all Target shoppers, Kim Berry is indeed not pregnant. She has once again accidentally strolled into the maternity section and has not yet realized her mistake.”

Ok, so I have this problem. I shop in the maternity section. I don’t mean to, it just happens. I do most of my maternity shopping at Target because there is no definitive transition from normal apparel to maternity apparel. One minute you’re looking at a Mossimo tank, then you stroll past the Merona pants, then whoops, you’re prego. I have this minor freak-out when I realize I’ve wandered from the appropriate zone. I have visions that everyone I know is huddled in the corner of the nearby fitness apparel section, all throwing out names as to who the father might be. (I just pictured that scene in my head as I was typing and I can’t stop laughing. Nine of you are standing behind the Champion sports bra display staring blankly at each other in total silence. No names, no one can think of a single name to throw out there.) Target should have more maternity signs, or maybe even a little plastic chain divider thing with a sign, “Stop, evaluate, ask yourself if you are pregnant, if not, don’t shop in this section.” Maybe that’s a little wordy, but you get the idea. Anyway, as soon as I realize my mistake, as nonchalantly as possible, I mosey on to the shoes and continue the usual Target circuit. The circuit always ends with me buying the Tear and Share size M&M bag. King-Sized is called Tear and Share these days so you don’t have to feel like such a fatty eating them. Instead you can just say, “I didn’t feel like sharing.”

2 comments:

Jacquline said...

You have such a creative imagination....I love it!!!
I miss you Kim Berry, sincerely :)

PS. Your Blogger is making me enter the word "tanch" to verify that I am a real person... I wasn't sure if this was a new scrabble word for me to remember, so I looked it up... nope, it is not to be confused with the word 'tench'.

tench |ten ch |
noun ( pl. same)
a European freshwater fish of the minnow family, popular with anglers and widely introduced elsewhere

Anonymous said...

haha :) you have me smiling on a mOnday and that's awesome. I too shop the maternity section at Target. ;)

But I do it as undercover as possible - which is hard for me - and it's all rather terrifying to those who pass me by - you see, I shop the maternity section with a cart load of babies and three children who walk along side the cart. The faces of mortification that see me there! So I have the little ones lie flat in the cart unseen by those who are not infact IN the maternity section, and have the three walking children sit under the clothing display. That way I can look like a first time mom and get pleasant smiles from others instead of the look that says, "haven't you figured out what makes babies??"

I agree, there is no divider between the maternity section and there should be a warning sign for those folks who wander. :)

have a good week Kim!

alyssa